Our Mission Statement

As a family of servants of God, we seek to Glorify Him by offering our lives as living sacrifices, being intentional about engaging people with Christ and the Gospel, and using the talents and training He has given us through grace to proclaim the Gospel of Grace to those near and far.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Our Daughter

We got another look at our daughter today. The purpose of this ultrasound was to have the high-risk dr. take an in-depth look at her.

On Tues. the ultrasound tech. discovered that her skin on the back of her neck (Nuchal Fold) was a little thick. I copied this from a site I found:
The nuchal skin fold thickness or nuchal translucency is the thickness of the skin fold behind the nape of the neck. In chromosomal abnormalities this may be thickened due to venous or lymphatic engorgement.

So today they looked at that again. Again, it measured above normal. At 19 weeks, it should measure around 6mm. "New'by" is measuring at 6.3mm.

They did a lot of other measuring. The femur measured normal instead of short. Great! The kidneys looked good. Great! The heart looked "perfect". Great! All of these other things they checked indicated that there were no more abnormalities.

So the number we were given by the expert is 5%. There is a 5% chance that our daughter will be born with Downs Syndrome. Which means that there is a 95% chance that she will be perfectly normal. The only way to find out for sure before she is born is to do an Amniocentesis. And we aren't willing to take the risks associated with that test for a 5% difference.

At this point all we know is that we went from a 1 in 800 chance to a 1 in 20 chance of having a daughter with Downs.

What we ask is that you pray for her to be healthy and for us to be prepared for the daughter God is giving us.

She seems like a little fire-cracker already. She's CONSTANTLY on the move. She didn't like the ultrasound tech bumping her bum and bumped back. And she had her hands up in a boxing position for a bit.

Here she is "puttin' up her dukes".

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!!

Love you all!!
Dad/MrSheets/G'pa

Kim Hodges said...

Good deal!! And I agree with you on the amnio--NO WAY. That totally freaks me out.

Cheryl said...

Scott had a coworker last year who was given a 1 in 8 chance of this and his son was born completely healthy with no complications. So definitely don't lose hope. I'd definitely say that all the other normal tests are incredibly promising!

F&S Doddignton said...

We're so glad you guys have a blog! Sarah's been thinking about your family and waiting for an e-mail all yesterday evening and this morning. Today I remembered to check your blog, and now we know all the news. We'll keep all of you in our prayers.

Jessicca said...

Ninety-five percent is great, and I agree--not worth an amnio. I'm sure you will all roll with whatever comes, but I really hope all her chromosomes are as they should be :). I'll be thinking about you all.

Michael and Hannah said...

Love it that you're just praying for preparedness. Will be keeping little Micaisheva Maxomibeth in our prayers. So how does it feel to have a daughter? For me that mother-baby bond always kicks up a couple notches when I find out the gender. Such an exciting time.

I was excitd to find out I was having a girl, but I think I was also relieved that Wesley would still be "my boy" with no competition. I'm sure the day will come when he'll have to share that title, but for now I honestly think it made the transition easier for me to not have to suddenly feel like he had to be the "big boy." Gideon can still be your sweet baby boy, even after little Macaisheva arrives!